School Improvement Committee
- Posted by smss
Ste Madeleine Secondary School:
School Improvement Committee
The Ste Madeleine Secondary School strives to ensure the holistic development of its students. In order to facilitate this goal, the formation of a School Improvement Committee is proposed as part of the continuous improvement process.
The primary aim of the School Improvement Committee is to maintain a school that works toward continuous improvement, ensure that goals for progress are met, and to improve the school climate and culture.
Overview of the School Improvement Committee
The School Improvement Committee (SIC) exist as a collaborative unit of On The Job Trainees and selected members of the teaching staff, operating under advisement and guidance of the principal and school administration.
The SIC will seek to include students, parents, members of staff and members of the extended community as necessary in the implementation of its strategies. The strength of this model is that it builds upon the varied talents, experience and resources of all involved as they work collaboratively to achieve a common goal.
The overall purpose of the School Improvement Committee is to monitor the school’s performance and implement improvement strategies. The main issues to be addressed include the areas of:
- Fundraising initiatives
- Involvement of stakeholders in the development of the institution and its students
- Formation and efficient functioning of a Student Council
- Student and staff involvement in extra-curricular activities
- Promoting collegiality and unison among staff
- Increase awareness, involvement and participation in school improvement activities
Responsibilities of the SIC
- To act as a ready-made and knowledgeable focus group. It will be an active and dynamic body that brainstorms, prioritizes and filters input for future school goals, strategies and activities.
- To report to the principal on the effectiveness of strategies, revise these strategies where this is within scope of the committee’s delegated powers and to recommend other changes as appropriate. It will create measures for its initiatives and strategies that will become tools to monitor its success and illustrate areas for improvement.
- To ensure the broadcast, articulation and constant communication between the committee, school administration, staff, students and stakeholders.
- To solicit student, staff and parent input as required.
- To seek to be accurately informed and conduct necessary research for the highest possible rate of efficacy.
- To work with all committee members and school administration to resolve issues, problems and conflicts that come before the SIC.
- Assist with recruitment of new SIC members
- To be committed to accurately representing the school community, it’s strengths and its needs.
- To ensure transparency, accountability and inclusiveness in all its undertakings.
- Attend meetings on a regular basis
- Participate in discussions and decision making
- Assist in completion of committee tasks outside of the regular meeting time
- Act in the best interest of the committee and the institution it serves
- Be interested, informed and involved